On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 9:09 AM, Aaron Halfaker <ahalfa...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> When that kind of roadblock gets put in the path of innovation, we're
>> already ossified.
>
> That's an interesting opinion.  It seems that you are suggesting that the
> problem is not recoverable.  How do you know that is true?

The CC license gives us the assurance that the problem is recoverable.
The question is WMF's role the recovery.

HHVM is promising evidence that the WMF is open to technical
innovation within a single layer of the infrastructure, but note that
that has been driven from within the WMF, resourced by the WMF and I
believe peopled by the WMF.

What is needed is a framework (technical and organisational) that
allows for similar innovation to be done by non-WMF people in areas
that the WMF agrees with in principal but considers not a resourced
priority. I certainly see no evidence of that.

cheers
stuart