I wish we had the slides for this, but Jack Herrick of WikiHow presented at
Wikimania 2012 on the features put in to promote more community growth.

There is video, however! And the exact time code is here:

http://youtu.be/qI07vokWXBY?t=53m28s

Quick transcription of that section of Jack Herrick's talk:

"And sadly this problem seems to be getting worse. This is the famous
chart, I'm sure a lot of Wikipedians have seen this chart... the blue line
is the active wiki editors. It's been declining... it peaked in 2007. It's
been declining or flat ever since. And that graph is more or less the same
at WikiHow. We peaked in 2007... I have some theories about why 2007 was
the magic year for wikis, but I won't go into that here..... I wasn't happy
with those results, so I spent the last three years trying to turn that
around."

Jack: People leave WikiHow not because they don't like it, but because
they've found somewhere more fun...
http://youtu.be/qI07vokWXBY?t=1h09m01s

Theories as to what happened in 2007 - Seigenthaler event and press.
Facebook came in 2008... "and we weren't keeping up"
http://youtu.be/qI07vokWXBY?t=1h10m50s

-Andrew