The issue was discussed a bit in 2008 under the title "Regular contributor", see the thread here:

https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wiki-research-l/2008-November/000672.html

I have attempted to summarize the issue in the section "User contribution" here:
"Wikipedia research and tools: Review and comments."
http://www2.compute.dtu.dk/pubdb/views/edoc_download.php/6012/pdf/imm6012.pdf

There is also a few pointers in the "Participation Trends" section in our "The people's encyclopedia under the gaze of the sages: A systematic review of scholarly research on Wikipedia"
http://orbit.dtu.dk/fedora/objects/orbit:119482/datastreams/file_73b48cd3-a711-4a7b-99ce-0dda59bc6bd0/content

One interesting original study is this one: "Creating, Destroying, and Restoring Value in Wikipedia" from 2007 by
Reid Priedhorsky and others.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/1316624.1316663

They conclude:

"We show that 1/10th of 1% of editors contributed nearly half
of the value, measured by words read."

best regards
Finn Årup Nielsen