We put the research showcase on hold for the past quarter due to other
outreach initiatives (Wiki Workshop '16, WikiCite, Wikimania).

We're back this month with two presentations by the Wikimedia Research team
and our collaborators at Jigsaw.

The showcase will be streamed <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZgqzVuRDRs>
on YouTube *tomorrow Wednesday July 20*, starting at *11.30 Pacific Time*.
As usual, we'll be hosting a Q&A via our IRC channel (#wikimedia-research
on irc.freenode.net).

Look forward to seeing you there!

Dario

*Detecting Personal Attacks on Wikipedia*By
*Ellery Wulczyn
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Ewulczyn_(WMF)>, Nithum Thain
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:nthain>*
Ellery Wulczyn (WMF) and Nithum Thain (Jigsaw) will be speaking about their
recent work on Project Detox, a research project to develop tools to detect
and understand online personal attacks and harassment on Wikipedia. Their
talk will cover the whole research pipeline to date, including data
acquisition, machine learning model building, and some analytical insights
as to the nature of personal attacks on Wikipedia talk pages.

*Wikipedia.org Portal Research*Search behaviors and New Language by article
count Dropdown
By
*Daisy Chen <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Dchen_(WMF)>*
What part do the Wikipedia.org portal and on-wiki search mechanisms play in
users' experiences finding information online? These findings reflect
research participants' responses to a combination of generative and
evaluative questions about their general online search behaviors, on-wiki
search behaviors, interactions with the Wikipedia.org portal, and their
thoughts about a partial re-design of the portal page, the new language by
article count dropdown.

*Dario Taraborelli  *Head of Research, Wikimedia Foundation
wikimediafoundation.org • nitens.org • @readermeter
<http://twitter.com/readermeter>