Hi all ,

two questions, maybe someone can help:

1. I was trying to compile a complete list of all bots that were ever
(potentially) active on the English Wikipedia so that one can identify bot
accounts in the dumps. Below are all the lists (including historic bots) that I
could find [1]. Out of those overlapping lists, I extracted 2795 unique bot
names (some seem to be just names for bot approval request pages). Going
through the historic edit data (no current redirects),  1377 user names were
actually in that list. Does anyone know if that should cover (almost) all ever
active bots, or is there even a better list/method? I would like to avoid using
unreliable regular expressions. (Similar question for other language editions)

2.  I counted bot edits per half year in en.wikipedia and saw a major decrease
between in the first half of 2013  from ~ 3 M to ~1M edits per half year
between January and July 2013, which seems to be in line with official stats
[2]. This is likely not news, so can someone enlighten me regarding what
brought about that sharp decline of bot edits?

Cheers,
Fabian

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:List_of_bots_by_number_of_edits
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Bots/Status/inactive_bots_1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Bots/Status/inactive_bots_2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:List_of_Wikipedians_by_number_of_edits/Unflagged_bots
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&list=allusers&augroup=bot
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&list=categorymembers&cmtitle=Category:Approved_Wikipedia_bot_requests_for_approval&cmlimit=5000
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Bots/Requests_for_approval/Approved (+
contents of all archive pages)
 https://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/TablesWikipediaEN.htm#bots

[2] https://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/TablesWikipediaEN.htm#editor_activity_levels

—
Dr. Fabian Flöck
Researcher
Computational Social Science department
GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences
Unter Sachsenhausen 6-8, 50667 Cologne, Germany
Tel: + 49 (0) 221-47694-208
fabian.flo...@gesis.org

www.gesis.org
www.facebook.com/gesis.org