Forwarding exciting news that might be of interest to some on this list as
well.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dario Taraborelli <dtarabore...@wikimedia.org>
Date: Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 11:11 AM
Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia and other 60+ organizations launch the
Initiative for Open Citations (I4OC)
discussions <openacc...@lists.wikimedia.org>, wikicite-discuss <
wikicite-disc...@wikimedia.org>

Hey all,

I wanted to let you know that we launched an initiative this morning
called: Initiative for Open Citations <https://i4oc.org/> (I4OC).

Prior to the launch of I4OC, only 1% of scholarly papers made citation data
available in the open. Today, that number has jumped to 40%. We're proud to
make a growing piece of fundamental data for open knowledge available to
everyone, with no copyright restriction whatsoever.

The I4OC has been in the making for the past 6 months, with lots of
individual discussions with scholarly publishers, asking them to flip the
switch and release this data. Wikimedia Deutschland, Wikimedia UK, the Wiki
Edu Foundation, the Internet Archive, Mozilla, PLOS and many other open
knowledge and open data organizations are among the official endorsers of
the initiative.

You can read more about this initiative on a post
<https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/04/06/initiative-for-open-citations/> we
published this morning on the Wikimedia Blog, on the joint press release
<https://i4oc.org/press.html>, or follow @i4oc_org
<https://twitter.com/i4oc_org> for more updates.

Best,
Dario

--

*Dario Taraborelli  *Director, Head of Research, Wikimedia Foundation
wikimediafoundation.org • nitens.org • @readermeter

Tilman Bayer
Senior Analyst
Wikimedia Foundation