Yes I totally agree that "importance is a relative metric rather than
absolute." I also agree that incoming links and pageviews are not accurate
measurements of "importance" for all of the reasons you mention. However,
we are still a project that is actively exploring the universe of
knowledge, and leaning heavily on academia and other established sources we
must "boldly go where no man has gone before" (and please feel free to
insert "white, euro-centric" before the man part). So do you have any
suggestions what we could measure going forward that would cough up some
interesting stats to monitor? Pagewatching is useful , but problematic
because these are only assigned at page-creation, while some marginal
editor interest might be expanded to whole categories (speaking as someone
who has thousands of pages watchlisted on multiple projects). I like your
thoughts about looking for key articles such as those used as the "article
as the "main" article for a category or as the title of a navbox ".  I am
looking for similar usages of paintings as a way to find popular painters
or paintings rather than just those paintings which have articles written
about them (which are often written for totally random reasons such as
theft/sale/wikiproject).