Hi Alex,

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 8:20 AM, Alex Yarovoy <yarovoy.a...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm a Master student working under the supervision of Drs. Arazy and Minkov
> (Haifa U)

​This is great. :) Thanks in advance for the time and effort you will put
to help us improve (our understanding of) Wikimedia projects.​

> My research explores the extent to which  "recognized domain experts"
> contribute to Wikipedia.
> (I use a narrow definition for "recognized domain experts" to include those
> with academic qualifications in the relevant topic).
> I manually tracked these experts using a variety of sources, and then use
> machine learning methods for automatically identifying domain experts
> within Wikipedia editors.

​I'm not sure if this part of your research is done, if it's not, section
2.3.1. of https://arxiv.org/pdf/1604.03235.pdf can be of interest to you as
a starting point for building topical models based on past contributions.

> I'm writing to explore whether this research is on interest to the
> community and to learn if other people have already tackled this research
> question.

​I'm not speaking on behalf of the community but providing my personal view
which should be counted as one view:​ :)

​We don't have a good understanding of why experts (the way you define the
term) do or do not contribute to Wikipedia (or other Wikimedia projects).
Understanding the incentive mechanisms (and I emphasize on mechanisms) that
can encourage these people to contribute is very valuable. Understanding
the blockers for their contributions (which can be related to the incentive
problem, but not necessarily), is also very valuable. We also don't
understand how such incentives change across Wikipedia languages or
Wikimedia projects, if at all (For example, does a professional
photographer who uploads photos to Wikimedia Commons do this with the same
incentive as a doctor adding content about an epidemic on Hindi Wikipedia
or a university professor who is improving articles on convex optimization
in Hebrew?)

What I'd like to recommend is that you keep the practical component of the
research you will be doing in this space in mind. A good rule of thumb is:
if I answer question x, how will it help Wikimedians recruit for or
encourage such experts to join Wikimedia? This is a high bar to meet,
especially in a master thesis, but it's a good bar to keep in mind as you
think about research questions. :)

​Good luck with your research! :)

Best,
Leila

p.s. btw, do make sure you share the result of your research as you develop
it with the research community. We have, for example, Wiki Workshop which
happens at least once a year and we'd love to hear more about your research
there. (last year's page: http://wikiworkshop.org/2017/ ) We had Ofer as an
invited speaker to the workshop a couple of years ago. :)

--
Leila Zia
Senior Research Scientist