From: Neil Patel Quinn <nqu...@wikimedia.org>
Date: 27 September 2017 at 03:39
Subject: The secret lives of new editors: research report and discussion
sessions
To: Wikimedia Mailing List <wikimedi...@lists.wikimedia.org>

Hello everyone!

In May and June of this year, a team of researchers from the Wikimedia
Foundation and Reboot [1] traveled to the South Korea and the Czech
Republic to learn more about the experiences new editors have on the Czech
and Korean Wikipedias.

We interviewed 47 new editors and 17 experienced editors and (with an
intermediate stop on several thousand sticky notes) summarized what we
learned in 11 findings. You can learn more about the project and see our
full report on our wiki page, mw:New Editor Experiences [2].

Of the 11 findings we identified, some may be surprising to you, while
others may reinforce what you already knew. Either way, we'd love to know
what you think. We're holding two public discussion sessions next week to
talk briefly about our findings and then take questions and comments.

We hope you'll come! The two sessions will be at:
1. Wednesday, October 4, 09:30–11:00 PDT (16:30–18:00 UTC)
2. Thursday, October 5, 21:00–22:30 PDT (Friday, October 6, 04:00–05:30 UTC)

Full details and instructions on how to join are at mw:New Editor
Experiences/October 2017 discussions [3].

[1]: https://reboot.org/
[2]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/New_Editor_Experiences
[3]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/New_Editor_Experiences/Octobe
r_2017_discussions