Forwarding a reply from Joseph that somehow didn't go through.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Joseph Allemandou <jalleman...@wikimedia.org>
To: Research into Wikimedia content and communities <wiki-research-l@lists.
wikimedia.org>, gerard.meijs...@gmail.com

Hi Gerard,
Here are my two cents on your questions.

About redlinks, you are correct in saying that the 3% of "other" link-type
are jumps from a page to another (using http-referer), while the hyperlink
from the origin to the target allowing for such a jump doesn't exist in the
origin page at the moment of computation.
From my exploration of the dataset, such "other" links happen with the
"manually-edited-with-error" url class (the "-" article has a lot of such
entering links for instance), as well as with links that I think have been
edited in the origin page (for instance in November 2017 dataset, there are
"other" links from page "Kevin Spacey" to "Dan Savage",
"hebephilia","pedophilia or "Harvey_Weinstein" - Those links are confirmed
as existing at some point in the page in November, but not anymore at the
beginning of December when the pages hyperlinks are snapshot).

As for your question about what people are looking for and don't find, the
one way I can think of to get ideas is to use detailed session analysis
correlated with search results, in order to try to get a signal of pages
reached from search and not being visited for long. Even if I think we have
data we could use in that respect on the cluster, we can't publish such
details externally for privacy concerns, obviously.

Please let me know if what I say makes sense :)
Many thanks
Joseph Allemandou