This might be interesting, from Wikimania 2015

https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/The_Effect_of_Blocking_IP_Editing:_Evidence_from_Wikia

Video here:

https://archive.org/details/videoeditserver-92

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 12:54 PM Ziko van Dijk <zvand...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Kevin Crowston,
>
> THank you for the link. I have read your paper about the initial phase and
> profited very much from it.
>
> My personal opinion on UP editing, not backed by research: IP editing has
> negative social consequences for the community. This negative side is not
> quite visible when only looking quantitatively at huge data.
>
> Kind regards
> Ziko
>

> Kevin G Crowston <crows...@syr.edu> schrieb am Mi. 19. Sep. 2018 um 18:41:
>
> > Jonathan Cardy <werespielchequ...@gmail.com<mailto:
> > werespielchequ...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > In case I didn’t make it clear, I am very much of the camp that IP
> editing
> > is our lifeline, the way we recruit new members.
> >
> > Tangentially elated to this question, we have a forthcoming paper at the
> > CSCW conference about how research conclusions change when anonymous work
> > (e.g., IP editing) is taken into account. We looked at data from a
> citizen
> > science project. Short answer: it makes a difference.
> >
> > The paper isn’t up on the ACM DL yet, but you can see it here:
> > https://crowston.syr.edu/node/756
> >
> > Doing the study requires access to IP addresses for logged in users, so
> > someone at WMF would have to do the study for Wikipedia, which would be
> > really interesting and would speak to the question of whether IP editing
> is
> > a gateway to further editing.
> >

> > Kevin Crowston
> > Associate Dean for Research, Distinguished Professor of Information
> Science
> > School of Information Studies
> >
> > +1 (315) 443.1676<tel:+1%20(315)%20443.1676>
> > crows...@syr.edu<mailto:crows...@syr.edu>
> >
> > 348 Hinds Hall, Syracuse, NY 13244
> > crowston.syr.edu <http://crowston.syr.edu/>
> >
> > Syracuse University
> > Most recent publication:  Kevin Crowston, Isabelle Fagnot. (2018). Stages
> > of motivation for contributing user-generated content: A theory and
> > empirical test. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 109,
> > 89-101,  doi: 10.1016/j.ijhcs.2017.08.005<
> > http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhcs.2017.08.005> .
> >
> > Check out our new research coordination network on Work in the Age of
> > Intelligent Machine:  http://waim.network/

-Andrew Lih
Author of The Wikipedia Revolution
US National Archives Citizen Archivist of the Year (2016)
Knight Foundation grant recipient - Wikipedia Space (2015)
Wikimedia DC - Outreach and GLAM
Previously: professor of journalism and communications, American
University, Columbia University, USC
---
Email: and...@andrewlih.com
WEB: https://muckrack.com/fuzheado