Further thought regarding the notability criteria for BLPs: Asaf made a
suggestion awhile ago, and unfortunately I can't remember exactly where I
heard about it, but I thought that it was a good idea. He suggested being
more context-specific when considering the bar for BLPs. I think that his
statement went something like this: in a culture where having information
about someone be published in newspapers is a rarity, the lack of being
published in a newspaper is not a good test for whether someone should be
considered notable. I think that Asaf's proposal was more nuanced than I'm
describing it, but in general I thought that it was worth seriously
considering.

If someone meets a revised notability bar for a BLP, there may still be a
problem with finding information that is verifiable and reliable. I don't
know of a good way to deal with that. I think that we have a problem with
believing (this is a bit of an exaggeration, but I think that you'll
understand my point) that if something is written in a book that is
published by a reputable publisher that therefore it must be reliable and
verifiable, while something is not reliable and verifiable if it is
communicated only orally in a culture where written communications are rare
or nonexistent. I don't know how to deal with that problem, but I do think
that it's a problem.

Pine