On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 at 09:42, Amir E. Aharoni
<amir.ahar...@mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:

> There is a phenomenon in Wikipedias in smaller languages: There activity
> level of people who actually know the language of the wiki and make
> meaningful text contributions is relatively low, and the activity of people
> from other wikis who make various technical edits that don't require the
> knowledge of the language is relatively high.

> Now, I've written "relatively low" and "relatively high", but these are
> just my anecdotal impressions. Has anyone thought of a way to quantify this
> more precisely?

It won't answer the question fully, but you can narrow down the
results by looking at babel templates to see which languages they
self-rate as being proficient in, or otherwise, on their home
project(s).

I try to act as a "helpful stranger" on non-English projects, for
instance by adding images and {{Authority control}} templates. This is
usually well received, but there are a couple of projects where the
former at least is apparently not welcome, and I've recently been
blocked (with no warning; my talk page ink is still red), with no talk
page or email access, on Lithuanian Wikipedia. In 2015 I was accused
of "vandalism" and "trolling" there.

Happy to discuss my experiences - good and bad - off-list, if that
will help your research.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing