Hello everyone,

We have completed an interview study to learn about the values of Wikipedia
stakeholders around the ORES ecosystem. You can find the full study
description here
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Applying_Value-Sensitive_Algorithm_Design_to_ORES>
.

After analyzing our interview data, we were interested to find that all
stakeholders' values seem to converge on five major values around how
algorithms ought to operate on Wikipedia:

   1.

   Algorithmic systems should reduce the effort of community maintenance
   work.
   2.

   Algorithmic systems should maintain human judgement as the final
   authority.
   3.

   Algorithmic systems should support the workflows of individual people
   with different priorities at different times.
   4.

   Algorithmic systems should encourage positive engagement with diverse
   editor groups, such as newcomers, females, and minorities.
   5.

   Algorithmic systems should establish the trustworthiness of both people
   and algorithms within the community.

We are inviting everyone to share feedback about our interpretation of the
data by reviewing the preliminary results of our study. Please leave
comments in this google doc
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/17AByGDxS2n9Cfon6vtgDGO3lUu0lQhe3eWNdAVZrCkQ/edit>,
or reply directly to the thread. We also posted about this at Village Pump
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(proposals)#Share_your_Input_on_Convergent_Community_Values_about_Algorithms_on_Wikipedia>.

Thanks,
Estelle (aka FauxNeme on Wikipedia)

--
*C. Estelle Smith *
*Graduate Research Fellow*

*University of Minnesota, Department of Computer Science*
*Keller Hall, 200 Union St., SE**Minneapolis, MN 55455*
*Cell: 612.226.7789 | **Twitter: @memyselfandHCI*
*https://colleenestellesmith.com/ <https://colleenestellesmith.com/>*
*Pronouns: she/her/hers*