+1 for Stu Geiger's approach. I also like to take an ethnographic approach
to understanding Wikipedia as a project/workspace/community. I used to
conduct a *lot* of interviews with Wikipedia community members, and the
best reference I've found for how to do ethnographic interviewing well is
James Spradley's appropriately-named classic methods manual
<https://www.waveland.com/browse.php?t=688>. If you're curious whether this
is the right approach for you, you can find sample chapters of that work in
various places on the web, like here (PDF
<http://faculty.washington.edu/stevehar/Spradley.pdf>).

Jonathan