Hi everyone,

Wiki Workshop [1 <https://wikiworkshop.org/>] 2023 will be the 10th edition
of Wiki Workshop! \o/ In the spirit of research and experimentation, we
have decided to make some changes for this decade edition event. There are
some changes that we know about now, and some that are work in progress.
Below you can learn more about the high level changes we expect to
implement.

*Online or in-person?*
Based on the feedback that we have gathered from Wiki Workshop attendees
over the past few years, a survey of authors of the recent Wiki Workshops,
as well as data about the geographical and gender diversity of Wiki
Workshop attendees (disclosed optionally as part of the registration form,
and aggregated), *we have decided to offer Wiki Workshop 2023 as a fully
online event*.

Through the authors' survey we also learned that some authors who publish
in Wiki Workshop appreciated the in-person presence of the Wiki Workshop
community as part of the Web Conference [2 <https://www2023.thewebconf.org/>]
(formerly WWW). *We are exploring options to bring the Wikimedia
researchers who will attend TheWebConf 2023 in-person together while some
of us will be in Austin*. More details on this in early 2023.

*When*
We expect the workshop to take place some time in April-June 2023. We will
announce the exact date no later than the end of February 2023.

*Publishing and proceedings*
When we surveyed Wiki Workshop authors, those who responded were split
50-50 between whether it is important for them to have their workshop
submission as part of a proceedings. This allowed us to start considering
options other than the Companion Proceedings of WWW (the traditional venue
where a subset of Wiki Workshop papers were published in every year).

I'm very excited to share that we have found a new approach for publishing
Wiki Workshop papers that can allow us to experiment with new models and
keep the two groups of authors happy.

For the 2023 edition, *we will continue with the tradition of receiving
paper submissions for Wiki Workshop* (though we may change the submission
format/length for 2023)* and all accepted papers will appear in the
**corresponding
Wiki Workshop website*, similar to last year's. [3
<https://wikiworkshop.org/2022/#papers>] However, instead of accepting a
subset of the papers to appear in Proceedings of WWW, we are working with
the Editor in Chief of ACM Transactions on the Web (TWEB) [4
<https://dl.acm.org/journal/tweb>] to create a pathway for a subset of the
Wiki Workshop papers (likely after being extended) to be submitted for
review to *a special edition of ACM TWEB*.

There are a lot of details for us to work on to make the TWEB special
edition happen and that means this year you should expect to receive the
Call for Paper for Wiki Workshop some time in late January to middle of
February 2023 (instead of the usual December time-frame).

I am very excited about the opportunity for the work of the Wikimedia
research and Wiki Workshop community to be published as part of ACM
Transactions on the Web and I'm very grateful to Ryen White,
Editor-in-Chief of ACM TWEB, for being welcoming in exploring this idea and
offering a special edition space (details tbd).

*Other changes*
There are some other high level schedule changes that we may make for the
2023 edition. If you like to stay informed about these changes at a
granular level and over time, you're welcome to subscribe to the
Phabricator task where these changes will be tracked:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T313530 .

We hope to be back with more updates for you in early 2023.

Best,
Leila, Bob and Emily

p.s. Please note that I didn't run the text of this email with Bob and
Emily (cc-ed). We have coordinated and discussed these changes among
ourselves, and they're welcome to add/update as they see fit.

[1] https://wikiworkshop.org/

--
Leila Zia
Head of Research