Chad added a comment.

>>! In T752#12801, @Jdforrester-WMF wrote:
>>>
>>> Of course. Something like this should be deployed first on phab-01 or
>>> another Labs instance for testing.
>>
>> If this is in fact manual work, we cannot do it twice. Unless there is a way
>> to include all this information in the Phabricator labs Puppet rules?
>
> My comment was about the use of Diffusion as a replacement for **GitBlit**
> (read-only Web browsing of repos), and that we should quickly sanity-check
> performance before just doing it for all repos. However, you can have lots of
> read-only copies of a repo, so it's not urgent to switch GitBlit off. We can
> do it a few dozen times (but let's not).

No, we can't do it a few dozen times I think. The repositories can be renamed
easily enough in Phabricator (as can their clone paths). The callsign is
forever and once URLs start building on them I wouldn't want to delete them for
a manual rename.

>>> I think we'll have to do the repositories one by one with a signup process.
>>
>> Alright, then this probably invalidates this other statement?
>
> No, this comment is about switching to Diffusion as the replacement for
> **Gerrit** (master server for a repo, in which it is changed). Because you
> can only ever have one master, this means a breaking change:
> * manually disabling write in Gerrit for the repo
> * manually(?) enabling write in Diffusion for the repo
> * getting everyone using the repo to change their remote repo configuration
> * updating all the documentation
> This is both tedious and not something we can rush, but once we've got a
> mostly-agreed workflow process in place (including CI integration working) we
> will be able to do this for a few isolated repos to verify it works, and then
> at some point throw the switch and make everyone switch.

We're generally in agreement here. Except I also meant it for Gitblit
replacement per above.

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T752

REPLY HANDLER ACTIONS
  Reply to comment or attach files, or !close, !claim, !unsubscribe or !assign
<username>.

To: Chad
Cc: wikibugs-l, Qgil, MZMcBride, Chad, Jdforrester-WMF, jeremyb, Aklapper