On 01/04/12 22:01, John Erling Blad wrote:
> Archiving a page should be pretty safe as long as the archived copy is
> only for internal use, that means something like OTRS. If the archived
> copy is republished it _might_ be viewed as a copyright infringement.
>
> Still note that the archived copy can be used for automatic
> verification, ie extract a quote and check that against a stored value,
> without infringing any copyright. If a publication is withdrawn it might
> be an indication that something is seriously wrong with the page, and no
> matter what the archived copy at WebCitation says the page can't be trusted.
>
> Its really a very difficult problem.
>
> Jeblad

That assumes that a web page disappearing happens only because it is
withdrawn due to factual errors. In practise, I find broken urls because
they changed the CMS, the urls have been completely changed, the article
is now behind a paywall, the domain expired...
None of which is an indicator of the quality of the original page being bad.