Hi Daniel, everyone,

2012/5/22 Daniel Kinzler <daniel.kinz...@wikimedia.de>:
> I have created a first preliminary draft of how data items from the Wikidata
> repository may be accessed and rendered on the client wiki, e.g. to make
> infoboxes.
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Notes/Inclusion_syntax

Great!

> It would be great if you could have a look and let us know about any
> unclarities, omissions, or other flaws - and of course about your ideas of how
> to do this.
>
> Getting this right is an important part of implementing phase 2 of the
> Wikidata
> project, and so I feel it's important to start drafting and discussing early.
> Having a powerful but not overly complex way to create infoboxes etc from
> Wikidata items is very important for the acceptance of Wikidata on the clinet
> wikis, I believe.

I've some questions about the design proposed in this draft. I'm not
sure these are actual issues, but I prefer to be sure ;-)

i. It seems to me that the proposed design implies that any access to
data is done through a template transclusion, which could be fine for
the given example (ie. infoboxes — though I'll raise another issue
below, see ii.) but AFAIU forbids direct use of data in an article. Is
this a desirable limitation? Or did I miss something?

ii. I understand that only one item can be included at once (either by
using the data_item attribute or the article links). What if for some
reason we want a template that accesses several items? Is it
reasonable to assume that there will always be an item that links to
every needed item for a given template?

iii. Articles on current wikis use templates named (eg.) “{{Infobox…”.
Shouldn't it be a prerequisite for templates using Wikidata to (be
able to) keep the same name, so that:
 - we don't have to run bots on every single article only to prepend
“#data-template:” but just have to update the template? Arguably, we
would have to edit the articles anyway to remove attributes that are
handled by Wikidata; just to be sure.
 - people don't massively reject the transition to Wikidata because of
the /visible/ syntax change.

iv. Per i., ii. and iii., wouldn't it be desirable to have some syntax
to access an item without relying on template transclusion? This would
enable us to:
 - use data in an article without having to write a template first (solves i.);
 - write templates that can get as many items as they need, either
from the transcluding page or /by themselves/ (solves ii.);
 - update the existing templates to Wikidata without having to edit
the articles and without visible changes from the template user's
perspective — except for what is handled by Wikidata, of course
(solves iii.).

v. What about lua? :)

Best regards,

--