Very delayed reply but think I'm still confused on this. Made a picture to
clear my mind but not sure it works:
http://smethur.st/wikidata

The bit I think I get:
If I request
http://en.wikidata.org/wiki/Berlin
Or
http://en.wikidata.org/title/Berlin
I get a 301? to:
http://wikidata.org/title/en:Berlin
The html wiki page

But not sure I understand the machine readable part [1]

Bullet point 1 says
http://wikidata.org/id/Q{id}
Resolves to the appropriate url depending on the request header

Does resolve mean a redirect? Is that a 303?

Or is there no redirect and the "thing" uri returns content?

What's the "appropriate url"?
http://wikidata.org/data/Q{id}
Or
http://wikidata.org/data/Q{id}?format={format}&language={language}
?

Bullet point 2 says
http://en.wikidata.org/item/Berlin
Also resolves to the appropriate url. Is that a redirect? What's the
appropriate url?

Is there content negotiation happening from
http://wikidata.org/wiki/Q{id}

Or just from
http://wikidata.org/id/Q{id}

What happens if I request
http://wikidata.org/id/Q{id}
And accept only html?

Is there content negotiation from
http://wikidata.org/data/Q{id}
Or do I have to use parameters to get different representations?

Is there a better picture

Sorry to be thick
Michael

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Notes/URI_scheme#Machine-readable_a
ccess

On 06/07/2012 18:20, "Gregor Hagedorn" <g.m.haged...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Denny, I largely see your points. The distinction between
> convenience = webservice to redirect to canonical URL and canonical
> URL could perhaps be made clearer in the note. I read it as parallel
> URIs rather than as a redirecting service. To me the word
> "convenience" has a different implication, but this may be entirely my
> fault, I am not a native speaker either. I also agree on the choice of
> language prefixes, confusing as it may be, I should have know. The
> data plus wikidata is still confusing, but I guess you cannot avoid
> that one?
>

> About the Q in front of identifiers: At the moment I see the item
> numbers being used in rdf:resource/about, but I understand that you
> may need them as element names? My understanding was that properties
> will be prefixed by Property: anyways.
>
> In any event: I find the argument that a rare letter like Q is good
> branding not very convincing. I would suggest then a more memnonic
> choice, like WD2348972 or W2348972 instead. I believe the Q as prefix
> used in all canonical inbound links will be puzzling many people and
> end the explanation having to end up in the FAQ.
>
> thanks again!
>
> Gregor

http://www.bbc.co.uk/
Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on
it and notify the sender immediately.