On 14.09.2012 20:04, jmccl...@hypergrove.com wrote:
> I'm particularly keen to know how this facility relates to fielding
> application-level ontologies.
> thanks - john

It doesn't, this is only about pre-defined "primitive" data types like "Number"
or "Translated String" or, slightly more complex, "Geo-coordinate".

The original implementation was discarded, the current draft is at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Development/Data_values_and_types

Once we have full support for free-form properties in Wikidata, we expect
something like a "Folksonomy" to emerge, but since we don't plan to enforce any
constraint based on a class system or similar, a true ontology in the RDFS/OWL
sense is unlikely to appear. We hope however that the relations and properties
we collect about items will be useful in building such an ontology in other
systems.

-- daniel

--
Daniel Kinzler, Softwarearchitekt

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | Eisenacher Straße 2 | 10777 Berlin
http://wikimedia.de  | Tel. (030) 219 158 260

unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt
für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.