totally agree - hopefully XSD facets provide a solid start to
meeting those concrete requrements - thanks.

<jmccl...@hypergrove.com> wrote:

>> Hi Gregor - the root of the
misconception I likely have about significant digits and the like, is
that such is one example of a rendering parameter not a semantic
property.

> It is about semantics, not formatting.
>
> In science
and engineering, the number of significant digits is not
> used to right
align numbers, but to semantically indicate the order of
> magnitude of
the accuracy and/or precision of a measurement or
> quantity. Thus, the
weight of a machine can be given as 1.2 t (exact
> to +/- 50 kg), 1200
kg (+/- 1 kg), or 1200.000 g.

> This is not part of IEEE floating
point numbers, which always have the
> type dependent same precision or
number of significant digits,
> regardless whether this is semantically
justified or not. IEEE 754
> standard double always has about 16 decimal
significant digits, i.e.
> the value 1.2 tons will always be given as
1.200000000000000 tons.
> This is good for calculations, but lacks the
information for final
> rounding.
>
> Gregor

Links: