Hi,

"Denny Vrandečić" <denny.vrande...@wikimedia.de> schrieb:

>* Wikidata has to balance ease of use and expressiveness of statements.
>The
>user interface should not get complicated to merely cover a few
>exceptional
>edge cases.

So your test UI, had it been a proposal or just anything to have to type in? As
a user I'd like to enter values as a whole with its unit and tolerance,
absolute as well as relative and in range notation. So everything with just one
<input type="text" />. With this it is easier to C+P values from sources.

>After the discussion, I decided to drop altitude / elevation from the
>Geolocation.

I cannot understand this decision, but yes, it can be expressed outside.

>I sense consensus that we should allow declaration of units in the
>wiki,
>and not to have it hardcoded in the software. Having discussed the
>various
>options and in light of the discussion here, the current suggestion
>would
>be to create a page for every quantity unit including the appropriate
>factors (for linear translations). This is similar to the way Freebase
>does
>it, as sent around by Tom, and what John McClure suggested.

Why not using Javascript, Lua or anything else? So one could also provide
non-linear transcalculation like decibel for example.

>Nikola, we will not have special handling for money for now. This would
>require a whole different spec I am afraid. Currency happen 200,000
>times
>in Wikipedia -- it is often, but not so often to be high priority.

Here the only thing that could help, would be a bot updating the exchange
rates. BTW, this is also kind of statistic data. So one could query those on WM
as well. But sometimes transcalculations are only wanted once, so such values
would also require a timestamp.

Cheers

Marco