Sven,

thank you for your honest opinion, and I know that you are not alone with
it - but I also heard a lot of people express excitement and joy about the
deployment, and based on the activity it seems that a lot of people like
it. We consider ourselves happy to be part of an intelligent and critical,
and at the same time sympathetic community.

I fully agree that the first deployment of Phase II functionality was
early. A lot of features are missing, as we have repeatedly communicated.

Was the deployment too early? That I disagree with. It is widely accepted
wisdom for software projects to "release early, release often". I think
that is very valid advice, and I decided to follow it with the project.
This allows us to see if some of our basic assumptions "work". This allows
us to test a few things before we fully commit to them and spend big
amounts of effort without any reality check.

The project plan as a whole was planned like this. Basically language links
are just a test-run for some of the technology we will need in order to
implement Phase II. Many back-end features -- the propagation of data from
a central repository to the Wikipedias, the way recent changes deals with
this, the scalability of some of our assumptions -- are equivalent in Phase
I and II. Phase I was always implemented with Phase II in mind. We are
doing the same thing now. We implement some features -- namely statements
per se, references for statements -- but with a limited set of data sets
and with some major limitations. But these will get expanded over time.

Compare it with another project like the Visual Editor. It is deployed to
the English Wikipedia. Plenty of features are still missing. But only with
their current deployment schedule can the VE team gather crucial data for
their further development. The main difference is that VE is an opt-in
feature -- statements in Wikidata are not, they are there, in your face.

I regard a project like Wikidata not as a software development project. It
is a growing, living socio-technical system, and in this case actually it
is one embedded in an even bigger such system, the Wikimedia movement as a
whole. We are developing technical features that we think will lead all of
us towards our common goals, and then we watch how the communities adapt to
them, which social rules they build on them, which technical developments
of their own are built on top of ours. We (as the development team) are
part of this ecosystem, and we (as all of us Wikimedians) are growing
together. Technical possibilities shape the rules the Wikidata editor
community agrees on, and the actual usage of the system and your feedback
shapes and prioritizes the future technical development that we plan and
undergo as the development team.

I also see that some decisions of the community are based on the currently
available features, but i do not think that this is problematic -- because
I am very confident that future new features will continue to shape new
rules and that the existing ones will be revisited and updated accordingly.

The timing of the deployment of phase II to wikidata.org has nothing to do
with the deployment of phase I to the English Wikipedia, which is currently
scheduled for Monday. We simply deployed features when they are deemed
ready. We do not plan features ahead with the intention to keep interest
high, or in order to win editors from other communities, etc. Also, we
regard phase II only as sufficiently finished when it is actually deployed
to the Wikipedias. And this, obviously, still requires a much better
support for references and a bigger number of data types. Also, so far
there is no reason to believe that there will be any major problems
revealed once we deploy to the English Wikipedia.

I regard your feedback as very important, and I am thankful for it. I
understand that everyone would like to have all the features immediately.
But I disagree with you on the point that we should not have deployed last
Monday. We were working very hard in order to be able to deploy on Monday,
and not wait even longer, and we are very proud with how smoothly it went -
fully conscious of the limitations of the current state. The situation will
soon improve, and we would like to stay a project for now that deploys new
features in a comparably quick succession.

After this explanation I hope that I have the support of the Wikidata
community to continue in this spirit.

Cheers,
Denny

2013/2/8 Sven Manguard <svenmangu...@gmail.com>

> Hello there. I have been an active and vocal supporter of Wikidata since
> almost the day it went live, and after giving Phase II a legitimate chance,
> I have to say that in my opinion the decision to deploy Phase II with only
> a small number of the expected features has been a massive mistake. Yes, I
> understand that the project was losing momentum and that several people
> commented that they felt that there was nothing to do on the project before
> Phase II hit, however the partial release has caused considerable
> confusion, and worse, has caused people to make decisions *based on what
> is available now* as opposed to based on *what would be the best choice
> in the long term*.
>
> It would have been one thing if Phase II were released with 80% of its
> projected features and an official list from the developers of the things
> that were left out. Instead we got what I have to guess is around 10% of
> the projected features, and if there's an official list of things that are
> missing or a timeline of when they're going to appear, I haven't seen it.
>
> I also have to question the timing of the release, bringing Phase II live
> just before Wikidata hits English Wikipedia. Was this done on purpose to
> try and bring over some of the Wikipedia editors? If not, the timing is
> awful. Nothing of this scale and level of technical sophistication ever
> gets deployed to English Wikipedia smoothly, and I think that the near
> future is going to show that the English Wikipedia deployment is going to
> be competing with the Phase II rollout for the time of the coders, who will
> need to fix bugs in both areas.
>
> I'm sorry for being so pessimistic, but I really do feel let down by this
> release. It's like being told that you're going to watch a feature film and
> then only getting the official trailer. The trailer is good, but it's not
> what people were expecting and it's not particularly valuable on its own.
>
> I look forward to any response that the Wikidata staff or the community
> might have to this.
>
> Sven

Project director Wikidata
Tel. +49-30-219 158 26-0 | http://wikimedia.de