Hi Antoine,

The main answer to your questions is that the data model of Wikidata defines a *data structure* not the *informal meaning* that this data structure has in an application context (that is: what we, humans, want to say when we enter it). I try to explain this a bit better below.

How the presence or absence of a qualifier contributes to the informal meaning of a statement is not something that is defined by Wikidata. Just like Wikidata does not define what the property "office held" means, it also does not define what it means if "office held" is used with additional qualifiers. This is entirely governed by the community who uses these structures to express something. Of course, the community tries to do this in a systematic, reasoned, and intuitive way. However, there will never be a general rule how to interpret an arbitrary quantifier.

In particular, it is not true that quantifiers are "statements about statements". First, to avoid confusion, I need to explain Wikidata's terminology. A "statement" in Wikidata comprises the whole data structure: main property and value, qualifiers, and references. The structure without the references (the thing that the references provide evidence for) is called a "claim". A claim thus contains a main property and value (or no value or unknown value) and zero or more qualifier properties with values. Every claim encodes something that is claimed about the subject of the page (the Wikidata entity), and the references given are supporting this claim (as a whole).

You already illustrated yourself how this is different from making "statements about statements": it would lead to confusion when several statements have the same main property-value but different qualifiers. This is also why our RDF export does not use the same resource for reifying statements with the same main property-value. Instead, we only share the same resource it two claims are completely identical (including qualifiers).

It is true that many qualifiers have a certain "meta" flavour, but this is not always the case. An interesting case that you might have seen is P161 ("cast member") that is used to denote the actors in a film. The typical qualifier there is P453 ("role"), used to name the role (character) that the person played in the film. If you look at this, this is more like a ternary relation hasActor(film,actor,role) than like a "meta-statement". Indeed, an n-ary relationship cannot in general be represented by a meta-statement about a binary relation, again for the same reasons that you gave in your email. In this view, one should maybe also think of a relationship usPresident(person,start date, end date) than of an annotated assertion usPresident(person). Wikidata is special in that qualifiers are optional, yet the modelling view of n-ary relations might be closer to the pragmatic truth, since it avoids any meta-statements (it also elegantly justifies why there are no meta-meta-statements, i.e., qualifiers on qualifiers).

Best regards,

Markus