On 12/11/13 16:26, Sven Manguard wrote:
Google would not have sent over a large chunk of cash to help get
Wikidata started if it didn't think it could use Wikidata. That Russian
search engine comany would not have sent over a large chunk of cash to
keep Wikidata going if it didn't think it could use Wikidata.

That doesn't mean Google is being malicious (about this, at least), it
means that they are making a  business decision. As long as Google
doesn't try to make decisions about Wikidata content or operations -
something it would have no economic reason to do anyways - I don't have
a problem with that. Just don't pretend that Google is doing this out of
the goodness of ther hearts.

Another important thing to note in this context is that all funding for Wikidata so far had the form of donations, which is crucially different from sponsoring (where you get something in return). The donors who give their money hope, of course, that the project will do something that they will find useful, but they exercise no control whatsoever in the development process. The donations are not bound to any condition, not even reporting, and there is no way to retract them. So each donor's initial intentions, whatever they were, have no influence on the execution of the project (moreover, I Kant think of any reason why the intentions rather than the outcome should determine the value of the deed ;-).

Cheers,

Markus

On Nov 11, 2013 6:27 PM, "Cristian Consonni" <kikkocrist...@gmail.com
<mailto:kikkocrist...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    2013/11/11 Denny Vrandečić <vrande...@google.com
    <mailto:vrande...@google.com>>:
     > as you know, I have recently started a new job. My mission to get
    more free
     > data out to the world has not changed due to that, though.

    =))
    I am very happy to hear this.

    Also, the mapping is awesome.

    2013/11/11 Klein,Max <kle...@oclc.org <mailto:kle...@oclc.org>>:
     > I regretted writing what I did after thinking about it over
    lunch, since it
     > is not "Assume good faith" towards Google. Maybe one of the
    reasons that I
     > was sensitive to it was because I'm representing VIAF in
    Wikidata, which is
     > kind of the same as Freebase in Wikidata, and I wouldn't want people
     > assuming bad faith about VIAF.
     >
     > Thanks for being clear and open about your work, its a real
    inspiration.
     > With apologies,

    Yours too, Max.

    Thank you both for your very good work.