On 10/01/14 03:21, emw wrote:
    What about monthly/dump-based aggregated property usage statistics?

Property usage statistics would be very valuable, Dimitris.  It would
help inform community decisions about how to steer changes in property
usage with less disruption.  It would have other significant benefits as
well.

Getting daily counts like
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Database_reports/Popular_properties
back up and running would be a good place to start.  That report hasn't
been updated since October 2013.  We could go further by showing counts
for all properies, not just the top 100.

More detailed data would be great, too.  Wikidata editors recently
posted a list of the most popular objects for 'instance of' (P31) claims
at
https://www.wikidata.org/w/index.php?title=Property_talk:P31&oldid=99405143#Value_statistics.
Having daily data like that for all properties would be quite useful.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will put all of these on the list for the Wikidata Toolkit development. Providing up-to-date analytics of this kind is a good basic use case for this project. (Btw, the project starts officially in mid Feb and runs for six months, but we will start working before that already; but there will be a bit more planning before we start hacking).

Markus

If anyone does end up doing something like this, I would recommend
archiving the data at http://dumps.wikimedia.org/other/ in addition to
posting it in a regularly updated report in Wikidata.

Cheers,
Eric

https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User:Emw

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 12:59 PM, Dimitris Kontokostas
<kontokos...@informatik.uni-leipzig.de
<mailto:kontokos...@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>> wrote:

    What about monthly/dump-based aggregated property usage statistics?
    People would be able to check property trends or maybe subscribe to
    specific properties via rss.

    On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Daniel Kinzler
    <daniel.kinz...@wikimedia.de <mailto:daniel.kinz...@wikimedia.de>>
    wrote:

        Am 08.01.2014 16:20, schrieb Thomas Douillard:
         > Hi, a problem seems (not very surprisingly) to emerge into
        Wikidata : the
         > managing of the evolution of how we do things on Wikidata.
         >
         > Properties are deleted, which made some consumer of the datas
        sometimes a little
         > frustrated they are not informed of that and could not take
        part of the discussion.

        They are informed if they follow the relevant channels. There's
        no way to inform
        them if they don't. These channels can very likely be improved, yes.

        That being said: a property that is still widely used should
        very rarely be
        deleted, if at all. Usually, properties would be phased out by
        replacing them
        with another property, and only then they get deleted.

        Of course, 3rd parties that rely on specific properties would
        still face the
        problem that the property they use is simply no longer used
        (that's the actual
        problem - whether it is deleted doesn't really matter, I think).

        So, the question is really: how should 3rd party users be
        notified in changes of
        policy and best practice regarding the usage and meaning of
        properties?

        That's an interesting question, one that doesn't have a
        technical solution I can
        see.

        -- daniel

        --
        Daniel Kinzler
        Senior Software Developer

        Wikimedia Deutschland
        Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.

    Dimitris Kontokostas
    Research Group: http://aksw.org
    Homepage:http://aksw.org/DimitrisKontokostas