Thank you for sharing.

In think it's a great idea. If there isn't, it should probably be done.  Gcode,
the code used by CNC driven machines use units.  These units can either be in
millimeters or inches.  In HTML, you can define units in pixels, in, cm, mm,
point size, pica, percentage.  I would think it shouldn't be too difficult to
extend SVG to do something similar but with a wider format.
In CNC, the number of turns in the lead screw or motor is then used to
calculate how much to step the motor to resolve to the selected unit. In SVG,
perhaps a similar method can be possibly be used to translate to the pixels.

Regards,
Alex

> On Apr 22, 2014, at 2:48 AM, "Lars Aronsson" <l...@aronsson.se> wrote:
>
> A friend of mine, noting that Wikipedia uses SVG images
> for diagrams, asked if it also had some written guidelines
> for how to write the SVG source code, in particular to
> express measurement values in the original units rather
> than on a pixel scale. He had found some SVG diagram that
> made a curve from 140 pixels to 190 pixels, rather than
> from 7 million to 9.5 million inhabitants, which was the
> unit that the y axis displayed. (Or something like that.)
>
> I said "probably not, your thinking is likely 5 years
> ahead of the Wikipedia community".
>
> As this all happened in April 2009, he came back yesterday
> to ask where we are now.
>
> Do we have any guidelines for how to hand-write the
> source code of SVG diagrams?  Should we?
>
> Maybe this is related to Wikidata?
>

> --
>  Lars Aronsson (l...@aronsson.se)
>  Aronsson Datateknik - http://aronsson.se

     Please note that this e-mail and any files transmitted from

     Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center may be privileged, confidential,

     and protected from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of

     you are hereby notified that any reading, dissemination, distribution,

     copying, or other use of this communication or any of its attachments

     is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in

     error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message

     and deleting this message, any attachments, and all copies and backups

     from your computer.