Hi Daniel,

Interesting report, about WD tagging I would also mention Denny's qLabel:
http://google-opensource.blogspot.de/2014/04/qlabel-multilingual-content-without.html

Regarding cost-efficient tagging options, there are automated
tagging/entity extraction methods like DBpedia Spotlight, which can be
further improved by using them together with human supervision/custody
around an established online community.

I'm also unsure about the mark-up of semantically unaware publications,
since marking-up requires access to an editable version of the text and
that requires an open license. Semantic annotations don't seem to suffer of
that problem and there are several open source initiatives in development.
https://thepund.it/
http://www.openannotation.org/Partners.html

Cheers,
Micru

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 6:23 PM, Daniel Mietchen <
daniel.mietc...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> lately, I have been working on a report on mark-up and related
> approaches to structuring biodiversity information:
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/133szlTaabYakEeR6JF6FFYsDJH-bLdSgDby86XPxPDk/edit#
>
> Wikibase and Wikidata are featuring prominently in there, and I would
> appreciate your comments.
>
> Thanks and cheers,
>
> Daniel
>

> --