> The categories of Commons are in and off themselves useful to a very limited
> extend. Associating the images they refer to with existing items in Wikidata
> is one way in which they may be useful. As it is, because of naming
> conventions and the use of English only, the categories are pretty lame. They
> do not help me when I am looking for an image in Commons at all.

Couldn't this still be done from CommonsData?  I thought the items in that
database would be able to reference the ones in the Wikidata database and vice
versa.

> Really my point is forget about Commons notability start thinking in terms
> of "what does it take to help people find images". Yes, those people will
> be 8 years old and they may speak Mandarin or Japanese.

I'm confused, wouldn't having the data in CommonsData still help with this?

> Considerations about secondary use are secondary. Yes, people may use it
> for their own purposes and when it fits their needs, well and good. When it
> does not, that is fine too. As it is, we do have all kind of Wiki "junk" in
> there. We have disambiguation pages, list articles, templates, categories.
> The challenge is to find a use for them.

I'd disagree that considerations about secondary use are secondary.  Wikidata
really has a huge potential for secondary use and we shouldn't forget that.

------------------------

I'm somewhat confused about this thread.  Did I miss something?  My
understanding is that Commons will be getting its own Wikibase install in order
to keep track of image metadata.  We are currently having a debate over whether
the 3.3 million Commons categories should be kept in Wikidata or CommonsData.

The CommonsData argument is that it keeps stuff only really useful to Commons
out of the namespace that has thus far been mostly used for items relating to
the real world.

The Wikidata argument is that there is already a ton of "wiki-junk" in Wikidata
and we shouldn't worry about reuse of Wikidata because it is primarily a tool
for Wikimedia editors and that having the data on Wikidata itself would allow
editors to more easily find useful images.

Am I understanding that correctly?

Thank you,
Derric Atzrott