Magnus is right on here.  We are hoping to begin things by establishing
wikidata as a central hub for gene identifier lookup and matching.  (This
is a big a problem in bioinformatics).  With this (hopefully fairly bit
stable) starting point of wikidata entities, we will be expanding the
statements attached to the genes to enable many different kinds of
queries.  For example, "what genes that encode proteins that are located in
the cell membrane are known to be related to alzheimer's disease?".  In
particular we are hoping to build a network of relationships between genes,
drugs, and diseases..

So, for now identifier matching queries, tomorrow the world ;).

And more importantly..  Given these gene starting points in the wikidata
entity space, we can do queries over whatever anyone else decides to hook
up to them!  Go nuts! (but add your evidence please..)

-Ben