Am 05.02.2014 22:40, schrieb Bene*:
> Am 05.02.2014 18:00, schrieb Bene*:
>> Interesting, so in your opinion the actual display of items should happen via
>> the common.css? I think this can work though I don't know if we should leave
>> this implementation detail to the local wikis. At least, it would prevent
>> another config to be added to the client which is very recommened from my
>> side. Also the wiki could rank the badges easier. (New css properties
>> override
>> old ones.) Thus I support your idea leaving this to the client wikis.

I think that it's up to the local wiki to decide which badges to show, and how.
Being able to manage this on-wiki seems like a good idea.

>> Another question, however, is which tooltip title should be added to the
>> badges sitelink. We could use the description of the wikidata item but I am
>> not sure if we can access it easily from client. However, it would provide an
>> easy way to translate the tooltip without some hacky mediawiki messages.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bene*
> In addition to the previous message, we still have to decide on one badge if
> we
> want to add a tooltip title. However, I don't think it makes sense to add a
> config variable only for the tooltip. Do you have any idea how to fix this?

A bit of JS code could set the tooltip based on the css classes. Access to the
label associated with the badge would be possible by querying wikidata, but it
would be nicer if we could somehow cache that info along with the page content.
Otherwise, it would have to be fetched for every page view on wikipedia... not
good.

-- daniel

--
Daniel Kinzler
Senior Software Developer

Wikimedia Deutschland
Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.