On 12/23/19 5:39 AM, Amirouche Boubekki wrote:
> topic: removed semantic-web, guile, and added wikidata-tech.
>
> Let's move the conversation to wikidata-tech@
>
> Please remove wikid...@lists.wikimedia.org next time you reply.
>
> Le dim. 22 déc. 2019 à 23:35, Ted Thibodeau Jr
> <tthibod...@openlinksw.com> a écrit :

I don't  get it.

You start off making unqualified claims about Virtuoso here, and you now
want to open up a new topic somewhere else?

If you want to make claims about Virtuoso and performance comparisons do
so with professional disclosure re:

1. Version
2. Configuration
3. Docker Image -- if using Docker
4. Host Machine -- OS, RAM, and CPU Affinity.

Kingsley

> [...]
> position would be best overall.
>
> I will make another WDQS proposal, based on some feedback I have been
> given on IRC to add more technical details (and improve the road map).
>
>> [1] http://vos.openlinksw.com/owiki/wiki/VOS/VirtRDFPerformanceTuning
>>
>> [2]
>> http://vos.openlinksw.com/owiki/wiki/VOS/VOSNews2012#2012-08-02%20--%20Announcing%20Virtuoso%20Open-Source%20Edition%20v6.1.6.
>>
>> [3] http://vos.openlinksw.com/owiki/wiki/VOS/VOSBuild
>>
>> [4] https://github.com/openlink/virtuoso-opensource/tree/develop/7
>>
>> [5] https://sourceforge.net/projects/virtuoso/files/virtuoso/
>>

>>> Spoiler: the new code is always faster.
>>>
>>> The hard disk is SATA, and the CPU is dubbed: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU
>>> E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10GHz
>>>
>>> I imported latest-lexeme.nt (6GB) using guile-nomunofu, chez-nomunofu
>>> and Virtuoso:
>>>
>>> - Chez takes 40 minutes to import 6GB
>>> - Chez is 3 to 5 times faster than Guile
>>> - Chez is 11% faster than Virtuoso
>>
>> How did you load the data?  Did you use Virtuoso's build-load
>> facilities?  This is the recommended method [6].
>>
>> [6] http://vos.openlinksw.com/owiki/wiki/VOS/VirtBulkRDFLoader
>>

>>> Regarding query time, Chez is still faster than Virtuoso with or
>>> without cache.  The query I am testing is the following:
>>>
>>> SELECT ?s ?p ?o
>>> FROM <http://fu>
>>> WHERE {
>>>  ?s <http://purl.org/dc/terms/language>
>>> <http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q150> .
>>>  ?s <http://wikiba.se/ontology#lexicalCategory>
>>> <http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q1084> .
>>>  ?s <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label> ?o
>>> };
>>>
>>> Virtuoso first query takes: 1295 msec.
>>> The second query takes: 331 msec.
>>> Then it stabilize around: 200 msec.
>>>
>>> chez nomunofu takes around 200ms without cache.
>>>
>>> There is still an optimization I can do to speed up nomunofu a little.
>>>

>>> Happy hacking!
>>
>> I'll be interested to hear your new results, with a current build,
>> and with proper INI tuning in place.
> What will be the INI options I need to use? Thanks!
>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ted
>>

>> --
>> A: Yes.                          http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html
>> | Q: Are you sure?
>>
>> Ted Thibodeau, Jr.           //               voice +1-781-273-0900 x32
>> Senior Support & Evangelism  //        mailto:tthibod...@openlinksw.com
>>                              //              http://twitter.com/TallTed
>> OpenLink Software, Inc.      //              http://www.openlinksw.com/
>>          20 Burlington Mall Road, Suite 322, Burlington MA 01803
>>      Weblog    -- http://www.openlinksw.com/blogs/
>>      Community -- https://community.openlinksw.com/
>>      LinkedIn  -- http://www.linkedin.com/company/openlink-software/
>>      Twitter   -- http://twitter.com/OpenLink
>>      Facebook  -- http://www.facebook.com/OpenLinkSoftware
>> Universal Data Access, Integration, and Management Technology Providers

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software