There are a lot of places called Parma, and it is not obvious which
one should be listed first. Perhaps Parma in Tibet?

This is actually a problem that can't be easily solved. "Parma" is
interpreted in a cultural context, and the Italian city is just one of
several places called the same. It might be obvious for an Italian
that "Parma" is an Italian city, but it is equally obvious for someone
from Tibet? What about Parma, Ohio, more than 80.000 people live
there?

The solution is to use a set of standardized user models, typically
they will follow the language regions.