This is really great stuff that gets to the heart of the matter.

There is a horrible misconception that SPARQL is complex.  People often
show you queries that make your head spin,  but it is astonishing how
really simple they are.  Here are a set of SPARQL queries that implement
OWL 2 RL:

http://topbraid.org/spin/owlrl-all.html

this shorter and far more human readable than anything has been written
about OWL.  (I come to bury,  not praise OWL -- if there are some OWL
features you like copy them into your rules.  If your data gets "big" at
all,  you do not want to mindlessly infer facts that aren't part of
expected reasoning chains.)

The other thing about SPARQL is that it is formally defined much better
than SQL or any of the NoSQL system out there.  That means if you want to
build systems that rewrite SPARQL queries or if you want to expand SPARQL
in various ways,  it is entirely straightforward to do that.

So far as performance is concerned,  there are many ways SPARQL can be
implemented.  For instance so long as the issue of mapping names is
resolved,  you can write SPARQL queries directly against a SQL database.

The issue of "unique id" vs "human readable id" is insanely important and
your example targets it.  Longer term we are going to have to move beyond
the linear text editor and  have stuff like what is described in the 7th
chapter of this book:

http://voelter.de/data/books/markusvoelter-dslengineering-1.0.pdf

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 7:09 PM, Paul Sonnentag <
paul.sonnen...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> A week ago I started working on a project which tries to make it simpler
> to query wikidata.
> It's still in a very early stage of development but I would like to hear
> your feedback, especially if you haven't used SPARQL, because you found it
> too complicated to get started with.
>
> qwery.me
>
> My approach was it to simplify SPARQL as much as possible without loosing
> too much of its power. Basically you can just write statements and the ids
> are autocompleted. Currently there are still a lot of features missing like
> data literals, filters and group by which i want to implement eventually.
>
> So please tell me, is something like that usefull to you? Is it simple
> enough?
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

Paul Houle

*Applying Schemas for Natural Language Processing, Distributed Systems,
Classification and Text Mining and Data Lakes*

(607) 539 6254    paul.houle on Skype   ontolo...@gmail.com

:BaseKB -- Query Freebase Data With SPARQL
http://basekb.com/gold/

Legal Entity Identifier Lookup
https://legalentityidentifier.info/lei/lookup/
<http://legalentityidentifier.info/lei/lookup/>