Hey Jeroen,
awesome. I think it's very important to make sure everyone can access
Wikidata's data as easy as possible. For many, i suppose SPARQL is
just a bit too complex, and the API is lacking in simplicity as well.

Considering common use cases, i've built the Sum of All Knowledge
where i needed to tackle the same problem (read-only access), it might
be interesting to compare how our approaches differ.

This is an example of a Sum page:
http://sum.bykr.org/328523

Which maps to this Wikidata item:
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q328523

The Sum application has a strict separation of concerns model, where
the backend is a separate Python application called Chantek:
https://github.com/hay/chantek

Here's the JSON format that is served over the wire to the Sum frontend:
http://api.haykranen.nl/wikidata/entity?q=Q328523

And here's the one from QueryR:
http://queryr.wmflabs.org/api/items/Q328523

For comparison, here's the one from the official API:
https://www.wikidata.org/w/api.php?action=wbgetentities&ids=Q328523&languages=en&format=json

I suppose the main difference is that your API is even simpler than
mine. One thing that might be difficult is having the property labels
as keys in the JSON. Those things tend to change, and having the
Property ID there is probably safer.

One other thing that i've added is a direct link to the image,
otherwise that's another query.

-- Hay