Hi Moritz,

On 03.02.2016 15:25, Schubotz, Moritz wrote:
Hi Markus,

I think we agree on the goals cf. http://arxiv.org/abs/1404.6179
By the way the texvc dialect is now 13 years old at least.
For now it's required to be 100% compatible to the texvc dialect in order to
use wikidata in Mediawiki instances.
However, for the future there are also plans to support more markup.
But all new options are blocked by https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T74240

Mathoid, the service that converts the texvc dialect to MathML, SVG + PNG can
also be used without a MediaWiki instance.
I posted links to the Restbase Web UI before.

api.formulasearchengine.com (with experimental features)
de.wikipedia.org/api (stable)

This is the API you said "has been opened to the public just moments ago" and which describes itself as "currently in beta testing"? That seems a bit shaky to say the least. In your email, you said that this API was for extracting LaTeX package names and identifiers, not for rendering content, so I have not looked at it for this purpose. How does this compare to MathJax in terms of usage? Are the output types similar? It seems your solution adds the dependency on an external server, so this cannot be used in offline mode, I suppose? How does it support styling of content for your own application, e.g., how do you select the fonts to be used?

I think we agree that real documentation should be a bit more than an unexplained link in an email. Anyway, it is not your role to provide documentation on new Wikidata features or to make sure that stakeholders are taken along when new features are deployed, so don't worry too much about this. I am sure your students did a good job implementing this, and from there on it is really in other people's hands.

Cheers,

Markus