Dario, I would love for the WDQS to support federated queries. Since we are
discussing the topic of federated queries, I would like take the
opportunity to mention SWAT4LS in Amsterdam next month. I have been using
federated queries  using Wikidata for some time now, that is federation
from outside WDQS. Next month I am going to present different ways to apply
federated queries on Wikidata at SWAT4LS (http://www.swat4ls.org). On the
subsequent hackathon I will suggest federation on wikidata as a hackathon
topic.  Any other wikidatians joining SWAT4LS?

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 5:54 PM, Dario Taraborelli <
dtarabore...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Benjamin – agreed, I too see Wikidata as mainly a place to hold all the
> mappings. Once we support federated queries in WDQS, the benefit of ID
> mapping (over extensive data ingestion) will become even more apparent.
>
> Hope Andrew and other interested parties can pick up this thread.
>
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 12:11 PM, Benjamin Good <ben.mcgee.g...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Dario,
>>
>> One message you can send is that they can and should use existing
>> controlled vocabularies and ontologies to construct the metadata they want
>> to share.  For example, MeSH descriptors would be a good way for them to
>> organize the 'primary topic' assertions for their articles and would make
>> it easy to find the corresponding items in Wikidata when uploading.  Our
>> group will be continuing to expand coverage of identifiers and concepts
>> from vocabularies like that in Wikidata - and any help there from
>> publishers would be appreciated!
>>
>> My view here is that Wikidata can be a bridge to the terminologies and
>> datasets that live outside it - not really a replacement for them.  So, if
>> they have good practices about using shared vocabularies already, it should
>> (eventually) be relatively easy to move relevant assertions into the
>> WIkidata graph while maintaining interoperability and integration with
>> external software systems.
>>
>> -Ben
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 8:31 AM, 'Daniel Mietchen' via wikicite-discuss <
>> wikicite-disc...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm traveling ( https://twitter.com/EvoMRI/status/793736211009536000
>>> ), so just in brief:
>>> In terms of markup, some general comments are in
>>> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK159964/ , which is not specific
>>> to Hindawi but partly applies to them too.
>>>
>>> A problem specific to Hindawi (cf.
>>> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Media_from_Hindawi) is the
>>> bundling of the descriptions of all supplementary files, which
>>> translates into uploads like
>>> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Evolution-of-Coronar
>>> y-Flow-in-an-Experimental-Slow-Flow-Model-in-Swines-Angiogra