Something I have been wondering is whether it is possible to get a template on eg Commons for a templated WDQS query to take account of the user's language (and also, ideally, preferred fall-back languages, as perhaps indicated by their {{#babel}} settings).

I had hoped it might be possible to include these preferences as a parameter string in the "label service" part of the query text.

From what Daniel is saying, it seems this may not be possible, because the template expansion would then depend on the user's preferred language(s), which would not be compatible with the template cacheing.

Is that right?   Or is there a way round this?

 -- James.