Dear Mathieu,

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 2:28 PM, mathieu stumpf guntz
<psychosl...@culture-libre.org> wrote:
> Le 30/11/2017 à 10:13, Egon Willighagen a écrit :
>> On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 10:45 PM, Mathieu Stumpf Guntz
>> <psychosl...@culture-libre.org> wrote:

>> As having contributed to many open database and as user of many open
>> database, the CCZero is my default choice for making data open. Adoption of
>> this license is, IMHO, the prime reason Wikidata is growing so fast, and
>> integrated so fast in many use cases.
>
> Well, that would indeed be a huge point in favor of CC0 then. Unfortunately,
> I'm not aware of any way to turn that into a measurable analyze, as too many
> factors might come coincidentally to this. However, since you are
> contributor of many open database, maybe you are aware of some studies on
> the subject which can back your opinion.

Generally for open projects, the impact is hard to measure. It's not
as simple as determining the sales.

Overview of reuse and adoption by independent project is for me the
most important measure. For example, for Wikipedia that Google shows
it prominently on the search results, that students around the world
frequently use it as first source to get an overview of a topic.

For Wikidata this is not as established, but I would look at the
collaborations. Other databases that have adopted the Wikidata
Q-number is identifiers, for example, like we did in WikiPathways, and
less domain-specific, by OpenStreetMap, if not mistaken. Those
collaborations are a good indication of success: projects invest time
in adoption of it, and would not do it if they did not expect "return
on investment".

>> I also note that public domain (which CCZero formalizes across
>> jurisdictions) is still the "ideal" license when uploading images to
>> Wikimedia, suggesting more of Wikimedia actually finds the CCZero idea very
>> welcome.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here. If you are talking about things like
> pictures that the NASA release, I think it falls in the case exposed above.
> If you are speaking of the most used license on Wikimedia by benevolent
> contributors, I'm not aware of the statistics on this topic, but would be
> interested to have some.

My point was that the impression I get when uploading media is that
the more liberal the license, the happier Wikimedia is about it.

Egon

--
E.L. Willighagen
Department of Bioinformatics - BiGCaT