>Is there a JAVA API to the Wikidata Query Service interface?

- go https://query.wikidata.org
- select any example ( cats? )   +  "Execute query"
- select the *"</> Code"*    - and select *"Java" *-> and check the
generated Java code

maybe you can setup your own SPARQL service ( check http://wikiba.se/  )

> How to best make such queries (information search) in terms of query
response time?

for my use case - ( Geodata matching ) I have loaded the data to my
database
* I have downloaded  wikidata JSON dump (
  *
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Database_download#JSON_dumps_(recommended)

  * https://dumps.wikimedia.org/wikidatawiki/entities/
* Filtered the JSON
* And loaded only the relevant elements to the Postgres/PostGIS database.

or you can load to CouchDB
https://github.com/maxlath/import-wikidata-dump-to-couchdb
( or you can check the other tools here:
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Tools/For_programmers )

but my use case is very special.

Best,
 Imre