Yes that is indeed my experience as well.
You can process the results but then in a SELECT within a SELECT query.

This works:
SELECT * WHERE {
  {SELECT ?item ?itemLabel  WHERE {
   ?item wdt:P31 wd:Q2085381.

  SERVICE wikibase:label { bd:serviceParam wikibase:language
"[AUTO_LANGUAGE],en". }

}}
       FILTER(CONTAINS(LCASE(?itemLabel), "simon"))
}

Note the omission of the second FILTER. I suspect that the results of the
service return labels without language tags.