On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 08:02:03PM +0200, Thomas Tanon wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> I'm not the best person to answer your questions (I've never actually used
> ShEx or contributed to it) but I hope to be able to answer your questions.
>
> > I'm not clear whether there is an RDF representation of ShEx that could
> be added to WDQS -- this is a point that would be useful to clarify;
> and, if not, whether work is going on in this direction.
>
> TL;DR: yes but it does not seem much used at the moment.
>
> ShEx specifies [1] two syntaxes, ShExC that is the "plain text" syntax used
> on Wikidata and ShExJ that is based on JSON-LD. JSON-LD beeing an RDF
> seralization, there is indeed an RDF representation of ShEx. To get plain
> triples one could use the JSON-LD to RDF triples conversion algorithm that
> is implemented in most JSON-LD libraries. The old ShEx documentation pages
> refers to a ShExR serialization of ShEx to RDF but I believe it has been
> dropped in favor of ShExJ+JSON-LD to RDF conversion.

We actually do test the ShExR with a Turtle representation. We have
~500 round-trip tests between the three representations:
  <https://github.com/shexSpec/shexTest/tree/extends/schemas>

It would be pretty easy to add a translation to RDF in the backend of
a schema update. That would give you all the clever meta queries you'd
like for dependency-checking and auditing without making people edit
triples.