Congrats Denny! Looking forward to talking with you more as you are get
more involved in working with the movement :)

Cheers,

Alex

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 12:57 PM Denny Vrandečić <vrande...@google.com>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Over the last few years, more and more research teams all around the world
> have started to use Wikidata. Wikidata is becoming a fundamental resource
> [1]. That is also true for research at Google. One advantage of using
> Wikidata as a research resource is that it is available to everyone.
> Results can be reproduced and validated externally. Yay!
>
> I had used my 20% time to support such teams. The requests became more
> frequent, and now I am moving to a new role in Google Research, akin to a
> Wikimedian in Residence [2]: my role is to promote understanding of the
> Wikimedia projects within Google, work with Googlers to share more
> resources with the Wikimedia communities, and to facilitate the improvement
> of Wikimedia content by the Wikimedia communities, all with a strong focus
> on Wikidata.
>
> One deeply satisfying thing for me is that the goals of my new role and
> the goals of the communities are so well aligned: it is really about
> improving the coverage and quality of the content, and about pushing the
> projects closer towards letting everyone share in the sum of all knowledge.
>
> Expect to see more from me again - there are already a number of fun ideas
> in the pipeline, and I am looking forward to see them get out of the gates!
> I am looking forward to hearing your ideas and suggestions, and to continue
> contributing to the Wikimedia goals.
>
> Cheers,
> Denny
>
> P.S.: Which also means, incidentally, that my 20% time is opening for new
> shenanigans [3].
>
> [1] https://www.semanticscholar.org/search?q=wikidata&sort=relevance
> [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedian_in_residence
> [3] https://wikipedia20.pubpub.org/pub/vyf7ksah

Alex Stinson
Senior Program Strategist
Wikimedia Foundation
Twitter:@glamwiki/@sadads

Learn more about how the communities behind Wikipedia, Wikidata and other
Wikimedia projects partner with cultural heritage organizations:
https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM