Hi,

Thanks to all of you for your help. Yes, I had missed that "Link > SPARQL
endpoint" part of the interface. As Zybszko noted, just creating a URL like
"https://query.wikidata.org/sparql?query=SPARQL_HERE"; will lead to an
automatic download. And, as the documentation that Thad found points out,
you can add "&format=json" to have the output be in JSON instead of XML.
(As Lucas noted, you can also get other formats like CSV by changing the
HTTP request header, but once you get into that sort of thing I don't know
if it really counts as a REST API any more.) Anyway, JSON should be great
for my purposes.

Thanks again,
Yaron