Hi everyone,

As you may know, the Wikidata development team has been working on a
form-based query builder. It will allow people who don’t know how SPARQL to
build lists of Items. I’m happy to announce that the Wikidata Query Builder
has now been deployed: https://query.wikidata.org/querybuilder/

Example queries

   -

   Authors born in Ghana <https://w.wiki/3udQ>
   -

   Female fictional archaeologists <https://w.wiki/3udN>
   -

   Painters with no reference attached to the place of birth
   <https://w.wiki/3uWJ>

One important thing to keep in mind: The Query Builder is not meant to
allow you to build queries with the full power of SPARQL. It gives you
access to some really important features of SPARQL that are already pretty
powerful. We hope that it will even allow more people to get their first
experience building queries and then maybe advancing to writing SPARQL
directly once they figured out the basics with the Query Builder and got
interested.

We started development last year and many of you participated in the
testing sessions and gave us valuable feedback along the way. Thanks to you
all!

*Here are some of the things you can do with the Query builder:*

   -

   Query for any property (supported data types: string, Item, external
   identifier) with or without a specific value
   -

   Add or remove several query conditions
   -

   Include results from subclasses when querying for Item values
   -

   Having multiple query conditions and connecting them via AND as well as
   OR
   -

   See the interface of the Query Builder in several languages by adding
   ?uselang= to the URL (example
   <https://query.wikidata.org/querybuilder/?uselang=fr> - Translatewiki
   page <https://translatewiki.net/wiki/Translating:Wikidata_Query_Builder>)
   -

   Show IDs instead of labels in the results (to prevent timeouts)
   -

   Add a limit to the number of results (to prevent timeouts)
   -

   Show the query in the Wikidata Query Service

Please try it out and let us know
<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata_talk:Query_Builder> if you
encounter any issues.

Cheers,
--
Mohammed Sadat
*Community Communications Manager for Wikidata/Wikibase*

Phone: +49 (0)30 219 158 26-0
https://wikimedia.de

Keep up to date! Current news and exciting stories about Wikimedia,
Wikipedia and Free Knowledge in our newsletter (in German): Subscribe now
<https://www.wikimedia.de/newsletter/>.

sum of all knowledge. Help us to achieve our vision!
https://spenden.wikimedia.de

Wikimedia Deutschland – Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.