Il 19/09/21 11:10, Jan Ainali ha scritto:
I would be okay with them if the person mailing introduced it with a
sentence or two why they believe it to be specifically interesting for the
Wikidata community.

I agree.

The Wikidata community also can't benefit from those publications unless they're made (libre) open access, so I think it would be fair to require that the announcements include a mention or link clearly showing that all the papers will be OA (preferably) or explaining how the authors can archive them (for free) under a free license (libre green OA) à la:
https://www.coalition-s.org/rights-retention-strategy/
https://cyber.harvard.edu/hoap/How_to_make_your_own_work_open_access

From a search <https://link.lens.org/AFeru5oPGdg> it's easy to find good and bad examples. Bad is e.g. <https://www.elsevier.com/journals/journal-of-web-semantics/1570-8268/guide-for-authors> (claims embargos and all sorts of restrictions), rather good is e.g. <https://aclanthology.org/venues/emnlp/> (<https://aclanthology.org/faq/> states CC-BY).

Recently I've started nudging frequent posters who neglect to explain how a CfP is relevant to the list. Most do not respond, so in practice the only option is placing them on moderation.

If there are no objections, I'd also like to experiment with Mailman topics. We could place all obvious CfP in their own topic, and subscribers would then be able to set their preferences to not receive them. A more drastic alternative would be to discard all such messages as spam, but that might end up having quite some collateral damage.

Federico