Hi everyone!

Following up on the announcement
<https://lists.wikimedia.org/hyperkitty/list/wikidata@lists.wikimedia.org/message/XTH4TUR34NQ57DC73HP6XB3NU6FO6CH7/>
my colleague Léa Lacroix made in July 2021 about the grant that was awarded
to Wikimedia Deutschland by the Arcadia Foundation to grow the ecosystem of
organizations involved in Wikidata software development, I wanted to keep
you up to date on what has happened since then.

A quick reminder on what this project is about: We want to create a
Wikidata software development collaboration with a partner from the
movement over the course of the next three years. The reason why we want to
do this is to make our software more usable by cultures underrepresented in
technology, people of the Global South and speakers of minority languages.

We were able to talk about the Arcadia grant and the plans behind the
planned collaboration that the grant is meant for at last year’s
WikidataCon during a session called “Finding new pathways of collaborating
for a sustainable Wikidata software development” (you can check out the
slides
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Presentation_at_WDCon_2021(1)_Software_Collcaboration_for_Wikidata.pdf>
or the recording <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_VxTlBNkyk> of the
session).

Besides this, we were able to think more about what this collaboration
might look like and mean for the Wikidata software development in the
future and what kind of values, visions and plans we have when starting
this partnership. We were also able to have some first getting-to-know
conversations with people who have shown interest in this partnership.

We are happy to hear from anyone in the movement who would be interested in
talking about this collaboration more: be it to inform and consult on
building such a software partnership in the Wikimedia movement, to show
interest in joining the Wikidata software development as a partner
organization or pointing us to resources to learn from for our planned
endeavor or anything else you want to let us know. You can leave your
feedback, questions or input on the talk page of this project page
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Software_Collaboration_for_Wikidata>.

You can also reach out to me via mail if you are interested in learning and
talking more about this future collaboration!

We are looking forward to hearing from you and to keep updating you on this
in the following months and I hope you all have a nice Tuesday!

Cheers from Berlin,

Maria

--
Maria Heuschkel
Projektmanagerin

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
https://wikimedia.de

Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der Menschheit
teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
https://spenden.wikimedia.de

Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.