*Here's your quick overview of what has been happening around Wikidata over
the last week.*
Discussions

New request for comments: Community request for the development team to
access inverse properties on client wikis
<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Requests_for_comment/Inverse_property_access_for_wikis_:_a_lua_API_request_for_the_development_team>.
This can be a data management issue on Wikipedia as we must always ask
ourself if we must introduce an inverse property for cases where we need
them. So I think it’s useful to gather the usecases community would want
and draft a request for an API to the devteam to do that.)
Events <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Wikidata:Events>

   - Upcoming: The next Wikidata+Wikibase office hours
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Events#Office_hours> will take
   place on Wednesday, 16:00 UTC on Wednesday, 17th January 2024 (18:00 Berlin
   time) in the Wikidata Telegram group
   <https://t.me/joinchat/IeCRo0j5Uag1qR4Tk8Ftsg>. *The Wikidata and
   Wikibase office hours are online events where the development team presents
   what they have been working on over the past quarter, and the community is
   welcome to ask questions and discuss important issues related to the
   development of Wikidata and Wikibase.*
   - Past
      - Provenance Loves Wiki (PLW24)

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/de:Wikipedia:Arbeitsgemeinschaft_Kunstwissenschaften_%2B_Wikipedia/Provenance_loves_Wiki/English>,
      Jan 12th - 14th, research and data on the origin of artworks and cultural
      heritage and how Wikibase and Wikidata can support this.
      - WikiLovesWomen #SheSaid
      <https://twitter.com/WRdcongo/status/1745362701537198449> campaign
      wrapped up the 2023 campaign by visiting Kinshasha and Kisangani, where
      local Wikimedians improved quotes from women on FR Wikipedia and Wikidata.

Press, articles, blog posts, videos

   - Blogs
      - Building Connected Libraries in Nigeria:

<https://diff.wikimedia.org/2024/01/04/building-connected-libraries-in-nigeria-reflections-from-the-wikibase-journey/>
      --> Reflections from the Wikibase Journey on collaboration and resouce
      sharing between Nigerian Libraries.
      - Wikidata and ChatGPT integration failure

<https://finnaarupnielsen.wordpress.com/2024/01/11/wikidata-and-chatgpt-integration-failure/>
      --> read about Finn Årup Nielsen's attempts to integrate LLM's with
      Wikidata.
      - QLever: a new way to query OpenStreetMap
      <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Danysan95/diary/403095> -->
      Discussion of the new opportunities offered by QLever to query
      OpenStreetMap and to run federated queries with Wikidata
      - Wikidata for authority control: 3 years of work

<https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/Newsletter/December_2023/Contents/Sweden_report#Wikidata_for_authority_control:_3_years_of_work>
      --> The three-year Wikidata for authority control project, a
collaboration
      between Wikimedia Sverige and Swedish museums, concluded in
December 2023.
      It equipped museum staff with tools and skills to integrate
their authority
      databases with Wikidata, resulting in added identifiers, SPARQL query
      proficiency, and enhanced knowledge sharing within the GLAM sector.
      - Go-ahead for Wikidata Project of GLAM institutions from
      Baden-Württemberg

<https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/Newsletter/December_2023/Contents/Germany_report>
      --> The GLAM-BW project, under "GLAM goes OpenData," connects major
      collections in Baden-Württemberg, focusing on the württembergische
      Kunstkammer. With over 3,000 objects, the project integrates
information on
      collectors, histories, and objects into a knowledge graph for semantic
      searches, contributing to the broader realm of linked open data, akin to
      Wikidata.
      - Swiss GLAM Programme

<https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/Newsletter/December_2023/Contents/Switzerland_report>
      --> Wikimedia CH imported the Museum of Natural History of Neuchâtel's
      urchin fossil casts to Wikimedia Commons, connecting structured data on
      Wikidata. The project involved data cleaning, adding missing
elements, and
      file imports via OpenRefine, highlighting seamless integration between
      Wikidata and Commons.
   - Papers
      - Reflections on the PCC Wikidata Pilot at UCLA Library:
      <https://juser.fz-juelich.de/record/1020648> --> Undertaking the PCC
      Learning Objectives. Discusses the 14-month Pilot programme for
cooperative
      cataloguing of UCLA Library and Museum Collections. By E. Zhang,
P. Biswas
      & I. Dagher.
      - Few-Shot Event Classification in Images using Knowledge Graphs for
      Prompting

<https://openaccess.thecvf.com/content/WACV2024/papers/Tahmasebzadeh_Few-Shot_Event_Classification_in_Images_Using_Knowledge_Graphs_for_Prompting_WACV_2024_paper.pdf>
      --> How can Wikidata and Wikipedia help Vision-Language Models improve
      their classification of images. Tahmasebzadeh et al., 2024.
   - Videos
      - SMWCon 2023: Semantics, Wikis, and AI
      <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Ok7Q-65OQ> --> Day 1, Keynote by
      Prof. Markus Krötzsch who explores origins and principles of
semantic wikis
      and key challenges that lie ahead in managing knowledge.
      - GLAM on Tour 2023 im Museum Barberini
      <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSrFSz2BUno> (German) --> find out
      what Museums have got to do with Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons
and Wikidata. More
      Info Here <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/de:Wikipedia:GLAM>.
   - Interactive notebooks: GLAM : Geolocated and Labelled Articles Map
   <https://observablehq.com/@pac02/lam> - explore Featured and Good
   Wikipedia articles through a map, powered by Wikidata.

Tool of the week

   - Brian M Sperlongano

<https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/announcing-us-boundary-tagging-qa-checker/107744>
   released US boundary QA checker
   <https://zelonewolf.github.io/wikidata-qa/>, a quality assurance tool
   for finding issues with boundary data in the United States by using
   Wikidata, OpenStreetMap, and US Census Bureau data.
   - The Surrounding Ocean (available at
   vrandezo.github.io/TheSurroundingOcean) - is a tool that allows you to
   browse lexicographical data. You can use the tool to explore words and
   their meanings, translations, and synonyms. The tool is currently under
   development, and the developer, Danny, would appreciate feedback to fix any
   issues with the tool. More info: Wikidata:The Surrounding Ocean
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:The_Surrounding_Ocean>.

Other Noteworthy Stuff

   - OS-Wikidata Map Framework
   <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM-Wikidata_Map_Framework> List of
   tools and maps which combines OSM and Wikidata.
   - Call for Projects and Mentors for Google Summer of Code 2024 and
   Outreachy Round 28 is OPEN!

<https://lists.wikimedia.org/hyperkitty/list/wikimedi...@lists.wikimedia.org/thread/Y7PRNX3SMKLTT6ABLGYADTLT2NQ7MKJE/>
   - Got an idea for a project to reclaim the public nature of the
   internet? With Wikidata? NLNet has a new fund you could apply to.
   <https://nlnet.nl/news/2023/20240109-CommonsFund-starts.html>

Newest properties <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Special:ListProperties>
and property proposals
<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Wikidata:Property_proposal>
to review

   - Newest General datatypes: none
   - Newest External identifiers: Walk Score ID
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12280>, HistoriaGames game ID
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12281>, ‎Deutsche Bahn station
   number <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12282>, Legends Tour
   player ID <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12283>, Moscow
   Cultural Heritage ID <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12284>, USOPC
   Hall of Fame ID <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12285>, Cathopedia
   article ID <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12288>, ‎TouchArcade
   game ID <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12289>, ‎DoblajeVideojuegos
   game ID <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12290>, ‎Adventure-Treff
   game ID <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12291>, Biota of New
   Zealand ID <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12292>, Consortium
   of Bryophyte Herbaria taxon ID
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12293>, Consortium of Lichen
   Herbaria taxon ID <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12294>, Native
   Plants Hawaii ID <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12295>, SERNEC
   taxon ID <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12296>, TORCH taxon ID
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12297>, Penstemon Database ID
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12298>, Digicarmel ID
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12299>, ‎Retskrivningsordbogen
   ID <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12300>, MAMCS artwork ID
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12301>, Sofascore player ID
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12302>, ‎Mod.io game ID
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12303>, Sina Chinese Basketball
   player ID <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12304>, turismo.marche.it
   place ID <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12305>
   - New General datatypes property proposals to review:
      - describes
      <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/describes>
      (Data objects that are described by this entity (e.g. an encyclopedia or
      topic-related book; intended for input of several data objects.))
      - memory type
      <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/memory_type>
      (specifies the type of working memory of this data object)
      - filial church
      <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/filial_church>
      (church which acts as the less important temple of a parish)
      - TOPO id
      <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/TOPO_id>
      (unique code to identify topographical features of France (department,
      city, thoroughfare...))
   - New External identifier property proposals to review: Bluesky handle
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/Bluesky_handle>,
   Merkur author ID
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/Merkur_author_ID>,
   Bavarian school ID

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/Bavarian_school_ID>,
   Rugby Database ID
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/Rugby_Database_ID>,
   Playstation Store Concept ID

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/Playstation_Store_Concept_ID>,
   ArchDaily Architecture Office ID

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/ArchDaily_Architecture_Office_ID>,
   Il Nuovo De Mauro ID

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/Il_Nuovo_De_Mauro_ID>,
   Bluesky DID
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/Bluesky_DID>

Did you know?

   - Query examples:
      - Historical events by a city sorted by importance
      <https://w.wiki/8r4K> (source

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Request_a_query#historical_events_by_a_city_sorted_by_importance>
      )
      - Bubble chart showing countries with the highest number of children
      out of school in 2013 <https://w.wiki/8r4T> (source
      <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Weekly_query_examples/2018>)
      - Timeline of writing systems and alphabets <https://w.wiki/8r4Z> (
      source
      <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Weekly_query_examples/2019>)
   - Newest WikiProjects
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Wikidata:WikiProjects>:
   WikiProject Decolonise Wiki
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikiProject_Decolonise_Wiki> -->
   intends to focus on decolonising text, depictions and media within all
   relevant Wikipedia articles.
   - WikiProject Highlights: Ontology Cleaning Task Force: A group of
   people have started a task force to discuss problems with the Wikidata
   ontology and how to clean them up. Anyone interested in participating is
   welcome. The task force maintains Wikidata:WikiProject Ontology/Cleaning
   Task Force

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikiProject_Ontology/Cleaning_Task_Force>
   as a record of its activities. You can add yourself to the participants
   list there and find out how to join group meetings or otherwise participate
   in the group. *(Got something noteworthy happening in your WikiProject?
   Share it in the upcoming issue!)*
   - Newest database reports
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Database_reports>: Lexicographical
   data/Reports/Empty lexemes

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Lexicographical_data/Reports/Empty_lexemes>
   - Lexemes with no statements, no forms and no senses. *(Do you see
   Lexemes from your language in the list that you can fix?)*
   - Showcase Items <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Showcase_items>:
   January 15, 2018 (Q45919591) <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q45919591> -
   Monday in January 2018
   - Showcase Lexemes
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Showcase_lexemes>: در جنگ حلوا
   بخش نمی‌کنند <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Lexeme:L1081423> (L1081423)
   - Persian with a meaning similar to "all's fair in love and war"

Development

   - IP masking: We are working on adjusting Wikibase to handle the
   upcoming introduction of IP masking, which will give editors who are not
   logged in a temporary account name instead of using their IP to attribute
   edits to (phab:T351968 <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T351968>)
   - Lexicographical data: We are changing how empty Senses and Forms are
   represented in the dumps (phab:T305660
   <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T305660>)
   - mul language code: We are doing user testing for the current
   implementation to see if it is understandable for people.
   - Mismatch Finder: We are continuing the work on migrating it to the
   Codex design system.
   - REST API:
      - We improved the handling of lower-case statement IDs (phab:T354262
      <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T354262>)
      - We are working on getting a sitelink for a given wiki (phab:T344039
      <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T344039>)

You can see all open tickets related to Wikidata here
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/4RotIcw5oINo/#R>. If you
want to help, you can also have a look at the tasks needing a volunteer
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/board/71/query/zfiRgTnZF7zu/?filter=zfiRgTnZF7zu&order=priority>.

Weekly Tasks

   - Add labels, in your own language(s), for the new properties listed
   above

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Status_updates/Next#Newest_properties_and_property_proposals_to_review>
   .
   - Comment on property proposals: all open proposals
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/Overview>
   - Contribute to the showcase Item and Lexeme above
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Status_updates/Next#Did_you_know?>
   .
   - Participate in this week's Lexeme challenge
   <https://dicare.toolforge.org/lexemes/challenge.php>: Pigs
   - Summarize your WikiProject's ongoing activities
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Status_updates/Next#Did_you_know?>
   in one or two sentences.
   - Help translate <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Special:LanguageStats>
   or proofread the interface and documentation pages, in your own language!
   - Help merge identical items
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User:Pasleim/projectmerge> across
   Wikimedia projects.
   - Help write the next summary!
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Status_updates/Next>

--
Mohammed S. Abdulai
*Community Communications Manager, Wikidata*

Phone: +49 (0) 30 577 116 2466
https://wikimedia.de

Grab a spot in my calendar for a chat: calendly.com/masssly.

A lot is happening around Wikidata - Keep up to date!
<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Status_updates> Current news and
exciting stories about Wikimedia, Wikipedia and Free Knowledge in our
newsletter (in German): Subscribe now <https://www.wikimedia.de/newsletter/>
.

sum of all knowledge. Help us to achieve our vision!
https://spenden.wikimedia.de

Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Charlottenburg, VR 23855 B.
Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
Steuernummer 27/029/42207. Geschäftsführende Vorstände: Franziska Heine,
Dr. Christian Humborg