Hi Leo,

OCW is an impressive project by virtue of MITs involvement. They were
certainly a landmark project in the global OER landscape. However, I'm
not a great fan of many of the OCW initiatives for the following
reasons:

      * Most OCW projects, including MIT use the NC restriction in their
        license, and technically this is a "non-free" content license
        which is not approved by the free cultural works definition
        (see: http://freedomdefined.org/Definition ). Fortunately WE
        uses licenses which are approved <smile>.
      * Most OCW projects are not community driven projects in the sense
        that its more difficult to participate collaboratively in
        content development. That's not to say that we have got
        collaborative development right in WE -- but there are no
        philosophical or technological barriers to collaboration.  WE
        encourages and tries its best to connect people from different
        parts of the world working on similar projects.
      * WE goes out of its way to build capacity in developing OERs,
        especially in the developing world -- for example the L4C
        initiative.

If we look at the global OER landscape I see two generic approaches:

      * Producer-consumer models of OER development (eg MIT OCW) --
        currently the majority of OER projects
      * Collaborative-peer production models like WE, Wikiversity and
        Wikibooks.

My personal view is that the open and distributed peer production models
will achieve sustainability before the producer-consumer models --
simply because of the principles of self-organisation and the infinite
scalability of distributed production systems.

Granter -- we all have lots to learn regarding the best ways to achieve
sustainability of the OER movement -- but everyday WE're getting better
at doing this.

Thanks for the though provoking post.